Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How to start once a month freezer cooking?



Your Ad Here



Cooking
by ReneS

Question by melaniecampbell: How to start once a month freezer cooking?

Hi!

I am wanting to try once a month cooking- cooking in bulk then freezing it. I am having a baby in 6 weeks, and we just bought a house, so it's what I want to do to (a) save time and energy after baby comes and (b) save some $
For example, what should I have on hand, what type of packaging for storing the food in the freezer, I need recipes, how to cook in bulk tips and hints, etc... I am not much of a cook to begin with (I hate doing it!) but thought this might be easier than cooking a different meal EVERY NIGHT like I do now...
Any tips and websites would be appreciated!

THANK YOU!




Best answer:


Your Ad Here


Answer by Immortal Beloved
First of all, I would start with a good cookbook. One I can reccomend is "Frozen Assets". This book explains everything in great detail. Another is the "Thirty Day Gourmet". http://www.30daygourmet.com/
They also do a good job of explaining and have great kid and budget friendly recipes (you MUST try the peanut butter balls!).

In those two books will be all you need to get going, truly. I have a degree in Home Economics and have been doing my once a month cooking for years now. It is a Godsend to say the least!

One GREAT tip which comes to mind, freeze all casseroles and such in gallon ziploc bags laying flat. Once frozen, you can stand them up like books and save a TON of space!

If you have any questions, feel free to post on our website, we're always glad to help! www.mommyhell.com

Oh..did you realize that by cooking once a month you can shave literally hundreds off your food bill? It usually saves me at LEAST a hundred dollars but I have fed my entire family of four for two hundred for a months worth of meals. I swear, it's stunning. I'm not saying you won't be awful tired on your cooking day though!





Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Your Ad Here


No comments:

Post a Comment